DARK MATTERS is an 18+ event, where the science is served on the rocks & the adults come out to play
Thursday, May 18, 2017
7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Natural Disasters each have their season: spring floods, summer tornadoes, fall hurricanes, winter avalanches! Let's explore what causes these catastrophic events and how we can be prepared to face what Mother Nature has in store...
- Explore how seismometers work. Seismometers are instruments used to measure the impact of an Earthquake. Can you and your friends jump hard enough to register a mini-quake?
- Participate in hands-on experiments to learn how you can protect your home and neighbourhood from flooding.
- Talk to a real-life volcanologist! Did you know May 18 is also the anniversary of the 1980 eruption of Mount Saint Helens - - often declared the most disastrous volcanic eruption in US history.
- Learn all about megathrust earthquakes from real-life geoscientists.
- Embark on a visual journey across the galaxy in the planetarium, and encounter snow made of dry ice, daytime temperatures above 400C, sulphuric acid-rain and a 400-year-old megastorm so massive that three Earths could easily fit inside of the enormous hurricane!
And as always:
- DJ Thomas Culture
- Bar & Purple Pear Restaurant
- Exclusive access to all of our permanent galleries, and;
- Grown-up science experiments!
|COST PER TICKET||IN ADVANCE||AT DOOR|
|GROUP (20+ GUESTS)||$17.95||-|
All prices +GST.
- Thursday, July 20 - Speed
- Thursday, October 19 - Fears & Phobias
- Thursday, December 7 - Science of Sex
Here is a peek at some of the fun we've had so far in 2017:
Dark Matters is an 18+ event. You will be asked to show photo I.D.